We recently shared our excitement over the 25th anniversary of the beloved animated classic BEAUTY AND THE BEAST special edition released as part of The Walt Disney Signature Collection. In honor of this celebration, Disney also announced that for the first time ever, all 11 Disney Princess films are being made available to bring home at the same time (from Sept. 6 through Oct. 17!) Naturally, we had to find cool ways to enhance your family fun, as we traditionally do with our family film nights. We’ve created a special craft for the night – a quick and easy glass Disney Princess magnet craft – ideal for kids of all ages.
Disney’s epic fairy tale Beauty and the Beast returns to Blu-ray with the release of Beauty and the Beast The 25th Anniversary Edition, the original animated classic. The all-star voice cast features Robby Benson as Beast and Paige O’Hara as Belle, along with the castle’s enchanted staff including Jerry Orbach as Lumiere, David Ogden Stiers as Cogsworth, Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Potts, and they’re all just as magical as you remember them!
This “tale as old as time” is one I instantly fell in love with in 1991. My daughter was three-years-old and I’d begun collecting the princess movies for her on VHS. Though I still have that entire collection, I’m thrilled to add the updated Blu-ray to our collection so we can be sure to enjoy it over and over again in crystal clear high definition. Will also be great to share with my granddaughter now, as she is also a huge Disney Princess fan. Plus, watching the film is a great way to prep for the upcoming live action reimagined Beauty and the Beast that Disney has announced will be hitting the theaters in 2017.
Another thing I love about the Beauty and the Beast The 25th Anniversary Edition is the all of the all-new bonus extras including Bonus Features.
BLU-RAY, DIGITAL HD* & DISNEY MOVIES ANYWHERE:
- Menken & Friends: 25 Years of Musical Inspiration – Get a front-row seat for an intimate discussion between legendary music composers from classic and future Disney films, including Alan Menken (“Beauty and the Beast,” “Aladdin”), Stephen Schwartz (“The Hunchback of Notre Dame,” “Pocahontas”), Kristen Anderson-Lopez (“Frozen,” Disney’s upcoming “Gigantic”), Robert Lopez (“Frozen,” Disney’s upcoming “Gigantic”) and Lin-Manuel Miranda (Disney’s upcoming “Moana”). Discover how the composers are personally connected, how they first experienced “Beauty and the Beast” and how they find inspiration for their own films. And watch as they pay tribute to the film’s award-winning music score and the man who has inspired them all—Alan Menken.
- #1074: Walt, Fairy Tales & Beauty and the Beast – Long before “Beauty and the Beast” became the instant classic we know and love, Walt Disney made two attempts—between the 1930s and 1950s—to adapt the famous fairy tale into an animated film. Discover what Walt and his team was dreaming up through Walt’s actual voice recordings, archived artwork, story notes, and learn why the project was sidelined for decades.
- Always Belle – The original voice of Belle, Paige O’Hara, reminisces about earning the role of the beautiful bookworm in “Beauty and the Beast” and recalls how the iconic character changed her life and continues to inspire fans both young and old.
- The Recording Sessions – Go in the recording booth with the cast of Beauty and the Beast and see what went into adding voices to the characters and the lines we know and love.
- 25 Fun Facts About Beauty and the Beast – Disney Channel’s Gus Kamp and Kayla Maisonet host this entertaining countdown featuring little-known fun facts, anecdotes and hidden Easter Eggs (references to Disney animated films and characters) from one of the most cherished animated films of all time.
- “Beauty and The Beast” Sneak Peek – An exciting first look into the live-action re-telling of “Beauty and the Beast,” which refashions the classic characters from the tale as old as time for a contemporary audience, staying true to the original music while updating the score with several new songs.
DIGITAL HD* & DISNEY MOVIES ANYWHERE:
- Classic Bonus Features – These offerings from prior home entertainment releases include over five hours of bonus material, such as an alternate version of “Be Our Guest” and the “Beauty and the Beast” music video performed by Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson, and deleted scenes.
* Bonus features may vary by retailer
Disney Princess Magnet Craft
Small Disney Princess-themed stickers or pictures (we used a sticker set we picked up at our local dollar store.)
Jumbo clear glass accent gems (also found at local dollar store in craft section)
Adhesive magnetic buttons
This craft is super easy but produces some nice results. The first step is to size the sticker or photo to the accent gem. In our case, the stickers were slightly smaller than the glass gem, so no pre-sizing was necessary. As we used stickers and needed a non-sticky surface to mount the magnets to, we next adhered the stickers on craft paper and then trimmed the shape accordingly.
Once you have the sticker shape or photo ready to become a magnet, coat the front of the sticker or photo (as illustrated above) with glue. I like to use Mod Podge as the glue as I know it will dry clear, but regular craft glue works well.
Adhere the glue side of the sticker to the flat (back) side of the accent gem, adjust to center photo properly. Allow the glue to dry fully.
When glue has dried and photo is securely attached to the glass accent gem, attach your magnet to the back side of the photo (as pictured above.)
Viola! You have a great looking custom magnet to use on your refrigerator, metal cabinets, or even school lockers.
We decided these would make excellent game pieces, too, like for playing checkers, so we’ll be working on building our own game board soon!
If you are looking for more Disney Princess-related activities for your family fun nights, check out: