When you are intent on making every page count and fitting in every morsel of information you know will benefit readers, unfortunately some sacrifices must be made in the publishing world to reach this goal. In the case of my new book, Getting Laid: Everything You Need to Know About Raising Chickens, Gardening and Preserving — with Over 100 Recipes! (ISBN 1632280213,) in order to deliver the encyclopedia of cumulative farm to table knowledge I wished to present and empower readers with, I had to cut the page count which meant sacrificing the “resource guide” suggestions for further reading in the back of the book.
Well, I just couldn’t leave you hanging without this valuable bit of information so I went one step further and produced an even bigger, more comprehensive farm to table websites list to share on Rural Mom. Of course, RuralMom.com covers all of the topics listed and we hope it’s your number one resource to visit as you continue to enhance your sustainable living journey!
Raising Chickens Farm to Table
- American Poultry Association http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/
- Backyard Poultry Magazine http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/
- Livestock Conservatory
- Murray McMurray Hatchery
- USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
Gardening Farm to Table
- American Horticultural Society http://www.ahs.org/
- Greenhouse Grower http://www.greenhousegrower.com/
- International Sprout Growers Association http://www.isga-sprouts.org/
- The Council for Responsible Genetics http://www.councilforresponsiblegenetics.org/
- The National Gardening Association http://www.garden.org/
- The Seed Savers Exchange http://www.seedsavers.org
- The United States National Arboretum http://usna.usda.gov/
Food & Beverage Farm to Table
- AVRDC – The World Vegetable Center http://avrdc.org/
- Center For Food Safety http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/
- Fresh Preserving http://www.freshpreserving.com/
- Future Food 2050 http://www.futurefood2050.com/
- GMO Inside http://gmoinside.org/
- National Center for Home Food Preservation http://nchfp.uga.edu/
- Rural Mom https://www.ruralmom.com
- Slow Food http://www.slowfood.com/
Farm to Table Environmental Topics
- Green America http://www.greenamerica.org/
- Natural Resource Conservation http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service http://www.fws.gov/
- USDA Service Center Locator
- Wireless Foundation http://wirelessfoundation.org/
- AbundaTrade http://abundatrade.com/
- Backwoods Home Magazine http://backwoodshome.com/
- Center for EcoLiteracy http://www.ecoliteracy.org/
- Country Living Magazine http://www.countryliving.com/
- Earth911 http://earth911.org/
- ENERGY STAR http://www.energystar.gov/
- Food and Water Watch http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/
- Harvard School of Public Health
- Mother Earth News http://www.motherearthnews.com
- National Agricultural Library http://www.nal.usda.gov/
- Sustainable Living Association http://sustainablelivingassociation.org/
- You Renew http://yourenew.com/
Get More Involved with Farm to Table Initiatives
Food Tank http://foodtank.com/
Food Tank is focused on building a global community for safe, healthy, nourished eaters. They spotlight environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable ways of alleviating hunger, obesity, and poverty and create networks of people, organizations, and content to push for food system change.
Slow Food USA http://www.slowfoodusa.org/
The mission of this international grassroots membership organization is good, clean and fair food for all.
Eco Agriculture Partners http://www.ecoagriculture.org/
An international initiative for dialogue, learning and action about landscapes for people, nature and food.
Center for a Livable Future http://www.jhsph.edu/research/centers-and-institutes/johns-hopkins-center-for-a-livable-future/index.html
The mission of the Center for a Livable Future is to promote research and to develop and communicate information about the complex interrelationships among diet, food production, environment and human health.
Leaders for Nature
Leaders for Nature is the IUCN NL business engagement network of twenty multinationals and major Dutch enterprises working together on greening the economy.