Delightful little bites of holiday joy that we cool on our counters, stacked high on serving trays and share with friends and family. Christmas cookies are simply magical!
They are even more magical when they happen to look extravagant, yet are super simple to make. This is the beauty of the tri-color Joy Cookie recipe designed by the J.M. Smucker Company.
I had the chance to try out this recipe during my trip to Orville, Ohio to visit the J.M. Smucker headquarters. Spending time with baking experts in the demo and test kitchen was a truly joyful experience, so the Christmas Joy Cookies are certainly apropos!
I was able to create this recipe with ease using simple ingredients, a little food coloring and a whole lotta glitter sprinkles! The photos accompanying this post are photos from the actual event, so you can truly see how easy it is to turn your classic sugar cookie dough into tri-color beauties!
Tri-Color Christmas Joy Cookies
Makes: 30 cookies
Preparation Time: 40 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
• 1 (17.5 oz.) package Pillsbury® Funfetti® Sugar Cookie Mix
• 3 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
• 1/2 cup butter, softened or slightly melted
• 1 large egg
• Red and green food colors
1. HEAT oven to 375°F. Combine cookie mix, flour, butter and egg in medium bowl. Stir until soft dough forms. Divide dough into thirds; place each portion into separate small bowl. Tint one dough portion with red food color and one with green food color.
2. ROLL dough into 1-inch balls. Place one of each colored ball onto floured surface with dough pieces touching.
(We didn’t do this in the test kitchen, due to time constraints, but I’ve found from prior experience, that refrigerating sugar cookie dough for 1 hour prior to rolling also helps keep the cookies from sticking to the roller.)
Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thick. Make cut out at center of dough where all colors meet with letter shaped cookie cutter. Remove to baking sheet. Reroll remaining dough gently. Cut another cookie from center of reshaped dough.
3. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough balls.
4. BAKE 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
©/TM/® The J.M. Smucker Company – reprinted with permission.
Additional Tips from Rural Mom:
Sprinkles are a holiday baker’s best friend! They cover any cookie imperfections. If you need a little cover, simply dazzle them with glitter!
Roll out any remaining dough scraps and cut with a cookie cutter. The result will be some cute tie-dye like cookies you can display or simply enjoy as a well deserved treat after baking!
PS: If you want more farm fresh recipe ideas, we have plenty! Visit our NOURISH section to check out what’s new in the Rural Mom kitchen.
Hope to see you around the farm again soon! If you want to stay updated, be sure to sign up for our monthly newsletter. It’s always farm fresh with no advertising!