Bobby Flay’s Tomato Bread with Serrano Ham and Parsley Pesto is my new holiday go-to recipe! Simple, delicious and chock full of incredible flavors, it’s everything you expect from the new Bobby At Home cookbook. Clarkson Potter sent me a copy of this lovely cookbook and is partnering with me for a giveaway!
Bobby at Home: Fearless Flavors From My Kitchen is available in stores now and a must-have for the holiday season! Whether you are entertaining, thinking about creating a fabulous holiday brunch, or just looking for a comforting home meal, this cookbook has it all.
One thing I absolutely adore about Bobby Flay is I can always count in his recipes to be easy-to-follow and ridiculously-delicious. I own several of his cookbooks already and I’m delighted to add this one to the Rural Mom kitchen.
About Bobby at Home
With 165+ recipes, Bobby Flay opens up his home and shares his bold, approachable style of cooking for family and friends, along with his no-nonsense, essential advice for home cooks.
Welcome to Bobby’s, where powerhouse flavors rule the day. In his most personal cookbook yet, Bobby shares over 165 bold, approachable recipes he cooks at home for family and friends, along with his well-earned secrets for executing them perfectly.
Everyday favorites–from pan-seared meats and hearty pastas to shareable platters of roasted vegetables, bountiful salads, and casual, homey desserts–go bigger and bolder with Bobby’s signature pull-no-punches cooking style. Expect crowd-pleasing classics taken to the next level with exciting flavors, such as Spanish-style shrimp and grits, pumpkin pancakes with apple cider syrup, and sticky-savory-sweet Korean BBQ chicken. Riff on go-to dishes just as Bobby does with his master recipes for essentials, along with creative variations that take the base recipe in a range of directions to suit your mood, such as crispy bacon glazed with pomegranate molasses, deviled eggs topped with fried oysters, and mussels steamed in a heady green curry broth. With Bobby by your side, cooking at home just got a lot more exciting.
Flipping through the gorgeous pages of this cookbook, I instantly fell in love with every recipe. Bobby Flay has that farm-fresh mentality with his cooking that I truly enjoy. He celebrates each ingredient and doesn’t over-complicate any dish.
You can expect wonderful, straight-forward recipes that you’d be proud to serve (and delighted to devour!)
Tomato Bread with Serrano Ham and Parsley Pesto
During the holidays, I’m always on the hunt for two things:
- appetizer ideas
- recipes that I can use to utilize left-overs
Lucky me as Bobby at Home has a huge section on “Snacks & Appetizers.” The Tomato Bread with Serrano Ham and Parsley Pesto (found on pg. 59) caught my immediate attention as we are having and Italian-inspired feast later this month. It’s a quick and easy dish that will really “wow” my guests.
The other reason I loved this recipe is that it meets my second goal of finding recipes I can use to use up left-overs. Since we’ll be having ham for the holidays, I can easily shave some pieces and swap it for the Serrano Ham in the recipe. Win-win-win all recipe day long!
I changed up several things in my version of this scrumptious dish. I swapped in Prosciutto for Serrano and Romas for Beefsteak tomatoes as that’s what I had on hand. And I used small ciabatta rolls as they were just the perfect size for an appetizer side.
Tomato Bread with Serrano Ham and Parsley Pesto Recipe
Reprinted from Bobby At Home. Copyright © 2019 by Boy Meets Grill, Inc. Photographs copyright © 2019 by Ed Anderson. Published by Clarkson Potter, an imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC
Serves 4 to 6
You see pan con tomate—“bread with tomato”—in every tapas bar in Spain, with good reason: it is delicious. It also happens to be one of the easiest appetizers you will ever make. Like so many simple recipes, though, keep in mind that when there are so few ingredients, each one must be perfect. That’s especially true of the tomato in this dish: it needs to be overly ripe and practically bursting with flavor. For almost all of us, that means this is a very season-specific dish, best served in late summer when tomatoes are at their peak.
⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped to a paste using the side of a chef’s knife and ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup tightly packed finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 tablespoon finely chopped pine nuts
3 overly ripe large beefsteak tomatoes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1 loaf ciabatta, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
2 large garlic cloves, sliced in half
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
¼ pound thinly sliced Serrano ham
1. Make the parsley pesto: Stir together the oil and garlic in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the parsley and pine nuts and mix until just combined. Set aside.
2. Cut the tomatoes in half horizontally. Place a box grater in a large bowl. Rub the cut side of the tomato halves over the large holes of the box grater, using the flattened palm of your hand to move the tomatoes back and forth. The flesh should be grated off, leaving the skin intact in your hand. Discard the skin and season the tomato pulp with salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using). Let sit at room temperature while you prepare the bread.
3. Heat a grill to high or heat a grill pan over high heat. Grill the bread, cut-side down, until lightly charred and golden brown, about 1 minute. Flip the bread and grill for 30 seconds more to just heat through. Rub the cut sides of the garlic cloves over the cut side of the bread and brush with the olive oil.
4. Spoon liberal amounts of the tomato pulp onto the bread and drizzle with the pesto. Top with the ham slices. Serve at room temperature.
About Bobby Flay
Bobby Flay is one of the country’s most celebrated chefs, restaurateurs, media personalities, and authors. He is a James Beard Award winner, the author of 13 cookbooks, and has starred in 14 Food Network programs. In 2015, he became the first chef to be awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
For more information:
- visit BobbyFlay.com
- follow Bobby Flay on Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest
- follow the publisher, Clarkson Potter on Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest
- look for Hashtag #BobbyAtHome on your social media channels
Fill your Home with Bobby Flay Books!
Thanks to the lovely folks at Clarkson Potter, one (1) Rural Mom reader will receive a prize pack that includes:
- A copy of Bobby at Home,
- Plus two additional Bobby Flay cookbooks!
Giveaway open to U.S. addresses only.
Prizing and samples provided by Clarkson Potter.
ENTER via the Rafflecopter below:
Do you have a favorite go-to recipe for the holidays? What recipes would you love to create this holiday season?