Do you take your dog trick-or-treating? Here in our neck o’ the woods, we even make special treats for our pups and make sure to keep plenty of extra snacks like Milk-Bone, Pup-Peroni, Canine Carry Outs and Milo’s Kitchen around to share with the neighborhood dogs we see during the Halloween season. These days, there are more and more “furry kids” getting in on the trick-or-treat fun and studies show that dogs are the ultimate trick-or-treaters!
Big Heart Pet Brands (the makers of Milk-Bone, Pup-Peroni, Canine Carry Outs and Milo’s Kitchen) conducted an original survey of 3,000 dog parents nationwide to find the top 25 states that most like to include their pups, the nation’s most popular “Doggy Halloween Tricks,” and each breed’s favorite special treats — right in time for the spooky-fun holiday. Check out these fun Halloween Stats:
PET PARENTS LOVE TO INCLUDE THEIR DOGS ON HALLOWEEN
- 44% of NY pet parents have dressed their dog in costume versus 28% of California pet parents
- 38% of NY pet parents have greeted trick-or-treaters with their dog while 18% of pet parents in California have
- 18% of Texas pet parents have given their dog extra treats for Halloween and 16% have taken their dog trick-or-treating.
DIFFERENT TREATS FOR DIFFERENT BREEDS
- Big dogs like Dobermans and Great Danes prefer “real meat treats”, while most small ones (Pomeranians and Pugs) choose “soft and chewy” snacks – like Pup-Peroni
- Soft and chewy treats are also the all-time favorites of terriers (58%), and toy dogs (59%)
- Biscuits and crunchy treats (like Milk-Bone) are the clear favorites of hounds (53%), herding dogs (56%), and sporting dogs (57%)
MILO KITCHEN’S HALLOWEEN “DOGGY TRICKS TOP 10 RANKING”
Because dogs are the ultimate tricksters, Milo’s Kitchen brand dog treats wanted to uncover, for the first time, which tricks dogs are best able to perform. The nation’s most popular doggy tricks are:
#1: Sit (77% of dogs can do this on command)
#2: Shake paws (58%)
#3: Lay down (57%)
#4: Stay (50%)
#5: Give a kiss (44%)
#6: Beg (31%)
#7: Roll over (27%)
#8: Speak or bark (26%)
#9: Spin (14%)
#10: Play dead (10%)
It’s easy to see, dogs are the ultimate trick-or-treaters! Enhance your pet’s fun with these great activities:
- For wacky DIY doggie costumes, ideas on how to treat your pet, or for downloadable decorations to show your neighbors you’re celebrating with your pup, please visit this special Howl-o-ween website, from Big Heart Pet brands’ Milk-Bone, Pup-Peroni, Canine Carry Outs and Milo’s Kitchen: http://treatingforall.com/
- When you get your pup dressed for trick-or-treating, for a chance to see your dog’s Halloween photo in the Milk-Bone Halloween website and social channels, tag it on FB, Instagram or Twitter with #TreatsForAll.
- How can pet parents show they are celebrate Halloween with their pup? Download special pup decorations to show your neighbors you’re celebrating with your dog at treatingforall.com
Special thanks to Big Heart Pet Brands for supplying information to share and samples for our pups for a fun Halloween! As always, all opinions and love of Halloween celebrations are that of Rural Mom.