10 Things You Can Do Right Now to Become an Agent of Change
There are endless possibilities when it comes to being an Agent of Change but to make it easy, Lonesome George & Co. is sharing with Rural Mom readers- 10 small things you can do right now to jump-start your decision and make changes toward a better tomorrow:
1. Don't just wait for the future to happen, SHAPE it – even something as simple as turning off the water while you’re brushing your teeth can save up to 5 gallons of water every time you brush.
2. Work at understanding your SYSTEM (tribe, family, neighborhood, office, community) – carpooling not only spares the environment from unnecessary pollution, but it also gives you the opportunity to form new bonds of friendship with the people you are riding with.
3. Look for the variables within your system that INFLUENCE your surroundings – unplugging your appliances and other electronics when not in use eliminates unnecessary energy use when they are not actively serving a purpose.
4. Reduce, reuse, RECYCLE – even through the simple act of recycling one soda can, you can save enough energy to watch 3 hours of TV and in turn be responsible for creating a better future for our natural environment.
5. Learn, ADAPT and evolve – Unfortunately, there are products that have been created that cannot be recycled but you can still eliminate unnecessary use of resources by Upcycling. Upcycling is taking an unrecyclable product and turning it into a product of greater value, such as license plate purses and gum wrapper wallets.
6. Listen to nature for INSPIRATION and make better choices – take an hour out of your day to plant a tree. It connects you with nature and beautifies your yard while also offsetting carbon emissions.
7. Search for your LONESOME GEORGE and act on it – what is it in your community that is in need of your help? Join a cause or find something you’re passionate about and take action to be an active member of that group, club, or organization.
8. Be COMPASSIONATE – put yourself in someone else's shoes before giving the first word of advice – by learning a language, taking a class, or traveling, you can better appreciate different cultures, people, and their values.
9. RESPECT yourself, others and nature – be a conscious consumer and purchase products that promote shared value, that are made of organic material, or that promote a cause. You are showing the rest of the world that you have a universal respect for your world and all of mankind.
10. Accept the CHALLENGE and become and Agent of Change – listen carefully to the adventurous spirit in you to find all the resources you need to succeed – once you recognize this spirit, step up and share your knowledge. Spread the word of what you believe an Agent of Change to be among your friends, families, and colleagues.
For more information on Lonesome George & Co. and the Agents of Change initiative, visit http://www.lonesomegeorge.net/